- Animation Basics
- Body Mechanics
- Advanced Body Mechanics
- Introduction to Acting
- Advanced Acting
- Polish & Portfolio
Classic Animation Track
Six 12-week Classes
The original, 18 month, online animation program. In this series of six classes – from Animation Basics to Polishing and Portfolio – students will learn to develop the artistic and technical skills they need to be successful as a character animator. Working, professional animators provide students with hands-on instruction and valuable industry insights. Graduates of program receive a diploma in Advanced Studies in Character Animation and leave with exciting new shots for their demo reel.
Invest in the best and join the original animation educational community, pioneered by Animation Mentor and imitated by cheap knock-offs around the world.
Focus your efforts on developing the artistic and technical skills that will transform you into the best animator you can be.
Your Demo Reel.
Develop world-class, animated shots that will make your demo reel stand out from the crowd.
Class Length: 12 weeks
Upcoming Term: Spring 2015
Start Date: March 30, 2015
Application Due: March 6, 2015
Registration Opens: January 26, 2015
Class Tuition: $2,499 *
* Includes a $100 non-refundable registration fee
In Advanced Acting, you get your first taste of how to plan and execute your animation in a studio production environment. You’ll learn to create shots that cut together correctly, staging your acting in the best way to support the overall story or character arc. Your assignments will focus on two-person dialogue shots and you’ll learn how to find the balance of giving each character life without losing the focus on the core beats of your shot.
Learn How to:
- Select the right dialogue for your two-person shot, focusing on clear beats, phrases and contrast
- Understand the importance of cinematography in your animation planning, including basic composition, lens selection and camera mood
- Express specific acting beats by turning a frame of your video reference into a key pose of your animation sequence
- Find balance in your two-person shot by giving each character life, while maintaining focus on the core beats of the shot
- Integrate convincing body mechanics with acting effectively
- Dive deeper into subtext to understand how to reveal your characters internal thought process through your external acting choices
Why it’s right for you:
- Learn from Animation Mentor’s proven, trusted Classic Animation Track curriculum – the same curriculum taught to top animators working at studios like Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Industrial Light & Magic, WETA Digital and Blue Sky Studios
- Learn from the best mentors, at the world’s first and most respected online animation school
- Level up basic 3d animation software experience, and go beyond software tutorials to truly understand the art and craft of animation
- Work with industry-quality characters and assets
- Create a kick-ass demo reel full of your best animation and prepare yourself to apply for a job as a character animator
What You Get:
- A 3-year active student license to Autodesk Maya – including Mudbox, 3D Studio Max, and more
- Access to the Animation Mentor community of over 5,500 students and alumni in more than 105 countries around the world
- Instruction from top-quality mentors from the world’s leading animation studios
- Over 12 hours of pre-recorded lecture material, made available to watch on-demand each week
- A weekly eCritique of your assignment from your mentor
- A weekly live Q&A with your mentor and classmates
- Access to the Animation Mentor resource library with guest lectures, additional Q&As, and weekly video news
- Ongoing access to all characters and rigs from the course, including Bishop, Stella, Stan, Stewart, the Imps, Squirrels, Bird Ball and Monster Ball
Earn a passing grade in Introduction to Acting (note: there is no Advanced Placement into this class)