- Animation Basics
- Body Mechanics
- Advanced Body Mechanics
- Introduction to Acting
- Advanced Acting
- Polish & Portfolio
Classic Animation Track
Six 12-week Classes
The original, 18 month, online animation program. In this series of six classes – from Animation Basics to Polishing and Portfolio – students will learn to develop the artistic and technical skills they need to be successful as a character animator. Working, professional animators provide students with hands-on instruction and valuable industry insights. Graduates of program receive a diploma in Advanced Studies in Character Animation and leave with exciting new shots for their demo reel.
Invest in the best and join the original animation educational community, pioneered by Animation Mentor and imitated by cheap knock-offs around the world.
Focus your efforts on developing the artistic and technical skills that will transform you into the best animator you can be.
Your Demo Reel.
Develop world-class, animated shots that will make your demo reel stand out from the crowd.
Advanced Body Mechanics
Class Length: 12 weeks
Upcoming Term: Fall 2014
Start Date: September 29, 2014
Application Due: August 1, 2014
Registration Opens: July 28, 2014
Class Tuition: $2,799
Save your spot!
In Advanced Body Mechanics, build on your learning from previous classes to animate increasingly physical shots with your characters. Pick a character and create your own sequence, using cuts to help tell your story. Whether you want to send your character barreling through a wall or jumping out of a plane, Advanced Body Mechanics will teach you the necessary skills to animate physicality and body mechanics believably.
Learn How to:
- Use staging and composition to tell your story, including how to help your audience understand the progression of your story
- Use editing to craft a sequence out of multiple shots, and convey storytelling and action across your sequence
- Build on your existing body mechanics to improve your ability to animate physical shots like running, crawling and even climbing with Stella or Stan
- Delve deeper into advanced techniques of anticipation, overlapping action and timing and spacing
- Utilize best practices of storytelling through cuts
- Incorporate appeal into your animation, including staging, exaggeration, aesthetics and more
Why it’s right for you:
- Choose a Classic: Learn from Animation Mentor’s proven, trusted Classic Animation Track curriculum – the same curriculum taught to top animators working at studios like Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Industrial Light & Magic, WETA Digital and Blue Sky Studios
- Learn from the best mentors, at the world’s first and most respected online animation school
- Level up basic 3d animation software experience, and go beyond software tutorials to truly understand the art and craft of animation
- Work with industry-quality characters and assets
- Create a kick-ass demo reel full of your best animation and prepare yourself to apply for a job as a character animator
What You Get:
- A 3-year active student license to Autodesk Maya – including Mudbox, 3D Studio Max, and more
- Access to the Animation Mentor community of over 5,500 students and alumni in more than 105 countries around the world
- Instruction from top-quality mentors from the world’s leading animation studios
- Over 12 hours of pre-recorded lecture material, made available to watch on-demand each week
- A weekly eCritique of your assignment from your mentor
- A weekly live Q&A with your mentor and classmates
- Access to the Animation Mentor resource library with guest lectures, additional Q&As, and weekly video news
- Ongoing access to all characters and rigs from the course, including Stewie, Stewart, Stella, Stan, the Imps, Squirrels, Monster Ball and Bird Ball
- Apply and be accepted for the Animation Program or earn a passing grade in Body Mechanics
- Be 18 years of age or older upon the first day of class
- Meet the minimum system requirements
- Have intermediate computer software skills. This course requires a basic knowledge of 3d software. If you have little to no experience using 3d animation software like Maya, Blender or 3DS Max, we strongly recommend our Maya Workshop: Animation Basics
- Have a good understanding of the English language
- Achieve a passing score on a basic aptitude test (Wonderlic test). This measures basic understanding in math and verbal skills