- Animation Basics
- Body Mechanics
- Advanced Body Mechanics
- Introduction to Acting
- Advanced Acting
- Polish & Portfolio
Character Animation Program
Six 12-week Classes
In this series of six classes – from Animation Basics to Polishing and Portfolio – students will learn to develop the artistic and technical skills they need to be successful as a character animator. Working, professional animators provide students with hands-on instruction and valuable industry insights. Graduates of program receive a Certificate of Completion and leave with exciting new shots for their demo reel.
Animate with exclusive Animation Mentor rigs in a proven curriculum to help you become industry ready.
Focus your efforts on developing the artistic and technical skills that will transform you into the best animator you can be.
Your Demo Reel.
Develop world-class, animated shots that will make your demo reel stand out from the crowd.
Advanced Body Mechanics
Class Length: 12 weeks
Upcoming Term: Spring 2017
Start Date: March 27, 2017
Application Due: February 3, 2017
Registration Opens: January 23, 2017
Price Per Class: $2,499 *
Available for Advanced Placement
* Includes a $100 non-refundable registration fee
Save your spot!
In Advanced Body Mechanics, build on your learning from previous classes to animate increasingly physical shots with your characters. Pick a character and create your own sequence, using cuts to help tell your story. Whether you want to send your character barreling through a wall or jumping out of a plane, Advanced Body Mechanics will teach you the necessary skills to animate physicality and body mechanics believably.
Learn How to:
- Use staging and composition to tell your story, including how to help your audience understand the progression of your story
- Use editing to craft a sequence out of multiple shots, and convey storytelling and action across your sequence
- Build on your existing body mechanics to improve your ability to animate physical shots like running, crawling and even climbing with Stella or Stan
- Delve deeper into advanced techniques of anticipation, overlapping action and timing and spacing
- Utilize best practices of storytelling through cuts
- Incorporate appeal into your animation, including staging, exaggeration, aesthetics and more
Why it’s right for you:
- Learn from Animation Mentor’s proven, trusted Character Animation curriculum – the same curriculum taught to top animators working at studios like Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Industrial Light & Magic, WETA Digital and Blue Sky Studios
- Learn from the best mentors, at the world’s first and most respected online animation school
- Level up basic 3D animation software experience, and go beyond software tutorials to truly understand the art and craft of animation
- Work with industry-quality characters and assets
- Create a kick-ass demo reel full of your best animation and prepare yourself to apply for a job as a character animator
- Apply and be accepted for Advanced Placement in the Animation Program or earn a passing grade in Body Mechanics.
- Be 18 years of age or older upon the first day of class
- Meet the minimum system requirements
- Have intermediate computer software skills. This course requires a basic knowledge of 3D software. If you have little to no experience using 3D animation software like Maya, Blender or 3DS Max, we strongly recommend our Maya Workshop: Animation Basics
- Have a good understanding of the English language