- Animation Basics
- Body Mechanics
- Advanced Body Mechanics
- Introduction to Acting
- Advanced Acting
- Polish & Portfolio
Character Animation Program
Six 12-week Classes
In this series of six classes – from Animation Basics to Polishing and Portfolio – students will learn to develop the artistic and technical skills they need to be successful as a character animator. Working, professional animators provide students with hands-on instruction and valuable industry insights. Graduates of program receive a Certificate of Completion and leave with exciting new shots for their demo reel.
Animate with exclusive Animation Mentor rigs in a proven curriculum to help you become industry ready.
Focus your efforts on developing the artistic and technical skills that will transform you into the best animator you can be.
Your Demo Reel.
Develop world-class, animated shots that will make your demo reel stand out from the crowd.
Class Length: 12 weeks
Upcoming Term: Spring 2017
Start Date: March 27, 2017
Application Due: March 3, 2017
Registration Opens: January 23, 2017
Price Per Class: $2,499 *
Available for Advanced Placement
* Includes a $100 non-refundable registration fee
Save your spot!
In Body Mechanics, dive deep into the physicality of animating full body walks on both human and animal characters with our Stella and Sloan rigs. Begin by honing your observational skills and understanding of human and animal anatomy. Once you understand the source of realistic motion, you are ready to learn how timing and spacing choices can take your animation from realistic to stylized. Finally, finish class with workflow tips on how to add polish and shine to your animation.
Learn How to:
- Improve your powers of observation through an understanding of anatomy and physiology of full body walks
- Apply your observations to animate a full body walk using Stella
- Understand the importance of arcs in your ability to convey organic motion
- Dive into the principles of locomotion with quadruped walks with our Sloan dog rig
- Film useful and usable video reference – a key source of inspiration for most professional feature animators
- Explore physicality by adding personality and character to a basic walk cycle, integrating key storytelling components to your shots
- Use timing and spacing to take your animation from realistic to cartoony and back again
- Add the final 10% of polish to your shot, and take your shot from good to great
Why it’s right for you:
- Learn from Animation Mentor’s proven, trusted Character Animation curriculum – the same curriculum taught to top animators working at studios like Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Industrial Light & Magic, WETA Digital and Blue Sky Studios
- Learn from the best mentors, at the world’s first and most respected online animation school
- Level up basic 3D animation software experience, and go beyond software tutorials to truly understand the art and craft of animation
- Work with industry-quality characters and assets
- Create a kick-ass demo reel full of your best animation and prepare yourself to apply for a job as a character animator
What You Get:
- A 3-year active student license to Autodesk Maya – including Mudbox, 3D Studio Max, and more
- Access to the Animation Mentor community of over 5,500 students and alumni in more than 105 countries around the world
- Instruction from top-quality mentors from the world’s leading animation studios
- Over 12 hours of pre-recorded lecture material, made available to watch on-demand each week
- A weekly eCritique of your assignment from your mentor
- A weekly live Q&A with your mentor and classmates
- Access to the Animation Mentor resource library with guest lectures, additional Q&As, and weekly video news
- Ongoing access to all characters and rigs from the class, including Stan, Stewart, Stella, Sloan and Stewie
- Apply and be accepted for Advanced Placement in the Animation Program or earn a passing grade in Animation Basics
- Be 18 years of age or older upon the first day of class
- Meet the minimum system requirements
- Have intermediate computer software skills. This course requires a basic knowledge of 3D software. If you have little to no experience using 3D animation software like Maya, Blender or 3DS Max, we strongly recommend our Maya Workshop: Animation Basics
- Have a good understanding of the English language