Cartoony Animation for 3D Animators
6 Week Cartoon Workshop for 3D AnimatorsCourse Length: 6 weeks with Live Q&As
Start Date: May 8, 2017 (Spring 2017)
Price: $899 *
*Includes a non-refundable $100 registration fee
Seats are limited
Why Watch Cartoons When You Can Make Them?
Cartoony Animation is a great way to expand your creative horizons and open new avenues for expressing yourself! In this workshop you will expand your visual vocabulary and give yourself the tools you need to gain competence in the animation medium as well as improve your ability to pose, plan, experiment and learn. Strong drawing skills are not a necessity as anyone can enjoy the experience of bringing their creations to life.
You begin with hand-drawn master studies of great animation, which will teach you cartoony tricks that are most efficiently absorbed via drawing. Once the juices are flowing, you will explore shape change and flexibility in a series of quick mini-lessons. Finally, you will create a simple cartoony animation following the traditional workflow, and when done re-create that animation, and workflow on a 3D character.
Industry Professionals Mentor You to Be Successful
Mark Oftedal is a character designer, animator, and animation instructor. He studied character animation at the California Institute of the Arts and earned an animator position at Pixar where he worked on Toy Story, A Bug's Life and Toy Story 2. Mark was also a part of the award-winning short film, The Pumpkin of Nyefar, where he traveled to Thailand to co-direct. Mark has also co-founded the 3D software service provider DigitalFish Inc. who clients include DreamWorks Animator, Google and NASA.
Since 2009, Mark has worked on character concepts for feature film clients like Pixar, Sony Animation and Warner Brothers Animation. He's also taught animation at Animation Mentor and other studios and still continues to teach to this day. In 2013, he has worked with Oscar-winning director Jan Pinkava on his short, "Windy Day", and in 2014 he has directed the follow-up, Buggy Night for Google.
Tuesdays | 10:00 - 11:00 PM Pacific Time
Register Now for Mark's Class
- 6 week online workshop
- This workshop will meet for one live lesson (Tuesdays at 10:00 PM Pacific Time) each week
- Live lessons are recorded and archived for your continuous viewing
- There are no grades for this class but we do recommend a minimum of 5-10 hours per week
- All students are eligible to download the student version of Autodesk Maya for free with the purchase of any of our workshops
- Grease Pencil tool (Free in Maya)
- Students are required to purchase a full version of Quicktime Pro in order to prepare and upload your submissions for review
Who is This Workshop For?
- Open to English speaking students who are 18 years or older
- Designed for any skill level - beginner, intermediate or advanced. Lessons and feedback will be tailored to your style and level
- Current AM students are welcomed as these workshops are designed to fit into your current workload