- Animation Basics
- Body Mechanics
- Advanced Body Mechanics
- Introduction to Acting
- Advanced Acting
- Polish & Portfolio
Character Animation Program
Six 12-week Classes
In this series of six classes – from Animation Basics to Polishing and Portfolio – students will learn to develop the artistic and technical skills they need to be successful as a character animator. Working, professional animators provide students with hands-on instruction and valuable industry insights. Graduates of program receive a Certificate of Completion and leave with exciting new shots for their demo reel.
Animate with exclusive Animation Mentor rigs in a proven curriculum to help you become industry ready.
Focus your efforts on developing the artistic and technical skills that will transform you into the best animator you can be.
Your Demo Reel.
Develop world-class, animated shots that will make your demo reel stand out from the crowd.
Introduction to Acting
Class Length: 12 weeks
Upcoming Term: Spring 2017
Start Date: March 27, 2017
Application Due: March 3, 2017
Registration Opens: January 23, 2017
Price Per Class: $2,499 *
Available for Advanced Placement
* Includes a $100 non-refundable registration fee
Save your spot!
In Introduction to Acting, you tackle two of the most challenging aspects of character animation: pantomime acting and animating dialogue. Through pantomime acting, you’ll learn to show the audience the character’s emotion without narration or dialogue. Advance to the most exciting concept in character animation: dialogue acting. In this class, you’ll learn how to use subtlety and subtext to add complexity and depth to your characters.
Learn How to:
- Show emotion without narration or dialogue through pantomime acting
- Understand acting basics, including how to use subtext and subtlety to make your characters feel real
- Add secondary action to your shots without letting it become too distracting
- Animate dialogue with full facial animation, including lip sync
- Convey the complex motion of human hands
- Strengthen your skill at polishing your animation to add an extra layer of believability and grit to your animation
Why it’s right for you
- Learn from Animation Mentor’s proven, trusted Character Animation curriculum – the same curriculum taught to top animators working at studios like Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Industrial Light & Magic, WETA Digital and Blue Sky Studios
- Learn from the best mentors, at the world’s first and most respected online animation school
- Level up basic 3D animation software experience, and go beyond software tutorials to truly understand the art and craft of animation
- Work with industry-quality characters and assets
- Create a kick-ass demo reel full of your best animation and prepare yourself to apply for a job as a character animator
What You Get:
- A 3-year active student license to Autodesk Maya, including Mudbox, 3D Studio Max, and more
- Access to the Animation Mentor community of over 5,500 students and alumni in more than 105 countries around the world
- Instruction from top-quality mentors from the world’s leading animation studios
- Over 12 hours of pre-recorded lecture material, made available to watch on-demand each week
- A weekly eCritique of your assignment from your mentor
- A weekly live Q&A with your mentor and classmates
- Access to the Animation Mentor resource library with guest lectures, additional Q&As, and weekly video news
- Ongoing access to all characters and rigs from the course, including Bishop, Stella, Stan and Stewart
- Apply and be accepted for Advanced Placement in the Animation Program or earn a passing grade in Advanced Body Mechanics.
- Be 18 years of age or older upon the first day of class
- Meet the minimum system requirements
- Have intermediate computer software skills. This course requires a basic knowledge of 3D software. If you have little to no experience using 3D animation software like Maya, Blender or 3DS Max, we strongly recommend our Maya Workshop: Animation Basics
- Have a good understanding of the English language